Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blog Post #6

A little girl and boy coloring together at a preschool table



“The Networked Student” by Wendy Drexter was very interesting to hear from a perspective as a younger student since these are the same type resources I am learning about in my college EDM 310 class. I have been so consumed with learning them as a teacher’s tool I have not stopped long enough to think about students using them as teachers. The video references websites, wiki, itunes, blogs, skype, and virtual textbooks. These are just the surface of technology resources discussed in the video.

As a future teacher and a current student, I feel that teachers are more important now than ever. Students have so many more resources and options for careers today, that most will never realize. While many can surf the web and find information they still need mentoring and guidance to know where to go with the information they get. Teacher’s face more diversity in classrooms than before. The vast amount of technology resources such as what was discussed in the video will help them adapt to all the needs of there students. Regardless of the amount of information students have access to via technology they still have to be taught verbal and personable communication skills. One of the most disadvantages of learning through technology is that a student is not able to learn through the various forms of art education hands on.


I have taken most of my college classes online. I can certainly relate to the 7th grader who’s you tube video I watched. The student tells that she gets her assignments online and completes them online. She even mentioned of one subject that was paperless. I would venture to say that 95% of my online classes have been paperless as well. The only exception would be for the test we had to go on campus to take.

I understand her freedom of time and accountability to do assignments. I found online classes to be beneficial to me because of my lack to time to attend class. I do think I could have possibly learned more having been in a class with a teacher and other students to discuss or watch them. The 7th grader in the video seemed to have both, freedom and participation advantage.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney, I agree teachers are important now more than ever. The presence of a teacher I think is vital. I say this because I am a verbal learner, I need to hear the information rather than read it. Another aspect is that the technology is great, and yes the students have many more resources as to surf the web, however not all students learn the same way. Some students need that physical presence of a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    I completely agree that teachers are extremely valuable for students today. While I believe the use of technology is essential to enhance the students' education, I do not think technology should replace the teacher's role. Educators definitely do more than simply teach, and I know for a fact that I learn better through hands on experiments. I also like hearing and seeing my teacher and classmates, and I do not know how you are able to take so many online classes. They drive me crazy because I do not feel like I am learning anything. I think having a teacher and technology in the classroom can help reach all students in education.

    ReplyDelete