Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blog Post 14/Special Assignment

flying pig



Reflecting back on Tom Johnson's post I know why I missed the metaphor. Everything in the class is based on how technology can help everyone, both in and out of the classroom. I feel that those thoughts are my only focus when doing any of the assignments. When I came into this class I was not technology literate. When I am working on assignment I find myself being very focused and straight forward thinking. Majority of the assigned blog post we have had either completely for or completely against technology. I think this why I was focusing on the side that was not want pro-technology.
It is strange how things seem cycle around. Just yesterday I used a metaphor while talking to my son and he asked "Why can't you just say what you mean?" I could only laugh thinking about my EDM310 class. You are full of bologna, Come on turtle (talking to my son), you little chicken, you are pulling my leg, silly as a goose, when pigs fly, on cloud 9, are some of the metaphors I have heard in the past few days.
Teachers can help students understand that metaphors are words used in place of the normal words often adjectives. Using odd wording can often get a listeners attention better than the normal vocabulary used to describe something or someone. Metaphors can often also often add humor to situations. When things (statements, ideas, concepts) are taken out of their normal context it is more likely that something will stand out and be remembered. Metaphors are also used to show great comparison or similarity of two things that are not usually related or linked together.

No comments:

Post a Comment