Sunday, April 10, 2011

Teach Someone Something Project #14

I thought really hard about this project because there is something very simple I had learned in EDM310 this semester that I think everyone should know. Majority of people I would say do not think about blind people being able to use a computer. I had not thought about it myself until Dr. Strange informed my class that it is a law that when pictures are posted on websites or blogs that there is a code in the HTML that must be placed in order for audio to blind people exploring the internet to be able to know what is being shown. With all that said, my mother owns her own rental property business and has a website that has photos of all of her homes for rent. I asked her if she has ever thought about blind people wanting to make reservations from her website and as I assumed the thought never crossed her mind. I began to explain to her how simple the HTML modifier was to allow audio to explain/describe her photos on her website.
braille computer keyboard
braile letters

1 comment:

  1. Neely,

    I think this is a great idea, and I agree that most people do not even consider blind or deaf people because we take our sight and hearing for granted. The only problem with your project is you did not provide the way you taught it. Other than that, I think it is great that you taught your mom the importance of this.

    ReplyDelete